Sunday, July 12, 2009

The new LBD


If there's one think every girl should have in her wardrobe, it's a little black smock dress (LBSD). Why? Because it's so versatile. For starters, it's so easy to dress up or down. Plus, its shape is very forgiving - and easy to wear.

Right now, my favourite LBSD is this sleeveless cotton version from Uniqlo for £19.99 (which I've customised - but more of that later). With T-shirt trim around the neckline and armholes, it has a cool urban appeal that reminds me of Alexander Wang (a past collaborator for Uniqlo's Designer Project ranges). Plus, it's got hidden side pockets - a LBSD must. It's the perfect number to keep me cool all summer long. But if you find black too sombre for the heat, the dress also comes in white and cornflower blue.

As to how I've customised my LBSD, it's all down to a £1 piece of beaded ribbon that I found in a haberdashery shop. Originally destined to be the bib detail on a plain navy vest, my plans were scuppered when a shopping trip to Uniqlo resulted in one dress but no vest. But, thinking that my simple LBSD could benefit from a touch of embellishment, I got the needle and thread out and, a few stitches later, this is the finished result. I'm liking the black and navy combo a lot. And the understated elegant. Not bad for £21.

No comments:

Post a Comment

linkwithin widget

Related Posts with Thumbnails